How to compete with Amazon & Co.
For the purely stationary trade (bakeries, butchers, delis, etc.) in the inner cities, the situation is exacerbated by declining customer frequencies more and more, “said Chief Executive of the German Retail Federation Stefan Genth. A clear majority of the surveyed companies reported a drop in visitor numbers in a two-year comparison. The business situation of the city center dealers falls at the beginning of the year to a ten-year low. Only one in ten of the smaller companies assesses its situation as good. Innovative concepts and a little more “Thinking out of the box” can help to stop the permanent decline of these industries.
Important topics for the food and beverage sector
- Rising legal requirements (data protection, hygiene, working hours law, opening times)
- Minimum wages
- Skill shortage
- Digitization (Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Payment Systems)
- Social Media – Reputation Management
- Going green and Bio / How to safeguard your supply chain
- Driving bans in inner cities
- Ever rising rents
- New competition: Amazon Fresh, Uber Eats etc.
- Price dynamics (Energy, Food & Beverage)
- Effective and efficient use of resources
We advise customers from various sectors …
- Bakeries / Butcher
- Stand alone Supermarkets
- Food Markets
- Wine merchants
- Investors / Developer
- Banks / Associations
- Architects / Designer
We blend Food Retail expertise with a deep understanding of operational processes to help you find and capture more value. We provide the precise mix of operational expertise, strategic foresight, and industry knowledge required to co-create solutions that work
Key questions for business leaders
Finance / Adminstration
- How can we improve relevant KPIs in order to sustainably strengthen the company’s profits?
- Funding or participations? Which option is best for start-ups and growth phases?
- We expect falling profits: by what means do we reduce the costs accordingly?
- What measures are required to successfully master an emerging or already existing crisis of the company?
- How can audits by tax authorities and pension insurance institution be effectively managed?
Customer & Markets
- Should we continue to expand, if so, should we achieve this through new products in existing markets or by entering new markets?
- How will the needs of our customers change in the next 2-3 years and are we prepared for taking the necessary steps?
- Should one consider food delivery companies as competitors to the catering industry or build up a strong cooperation?
- Which expectations on the part of the customer will play an essential role in the field of digitization?
- “Customization” – how do we design products with limited resources to target-oriented products?
- How do we gain more time for the customer and how do we ensure his long-term loyalty?
- What degree of digitization is right for our company?
- What consequences could a non-GDPdU-capable POS system cause?
- How can decision-making be made more effective?
- How can we design our work processes so that our employees are always able to provide our customers with an excellent service?
- How intensively should networking with major suppliers be realized?
- How can production processes be optimized?
- Should we consider outsourcing other parts of our value chain?
Human Resources & Education
- Which strategies do we have to develop to meet the skills shortage?
- How do we succeed in winning the TOP TALENT we need and retaining it in the long term?
- What measures are needed to develop in-house skills?
- What does the claim “culture eats strategy for breakfast” mean for the requirements of effective leadership?
- How do continuous improvements become an integral part of the corporate culture?
Food & Beverage Inspirations
Local food shops are a pleasure to peruse, but international supermarkets and online delivery services like Amazon fresh are taking their toll on smaller outfits. A thoughtful independent – of any size- can be a remedy to the big-brand supermarket experience of ever-fresh ingredients and perfect looking produce that`s travelled halfway around the world before hitting your plate.
By contrast, our selection – from butchers, delicatessen, wine shops and cheese mongers are noble touchstones for all that local retail can offer.
Zupan Markets, Portland
Butter Lindner, Berlin
Meyer Feinkost, Frankfurt
Feinkost Käfer, München
Dean & Deluca, New York
Julius Meinl, Wien
Eately Market, München
La Grande Epicerie, Paris
Gourmet Market, Bangkok
Isetan department store, Tokyo
Stockmann Herkku, Helsinki
Victor Churchill Butcher, Sydney
Anthony Bourdain calls it “The most beautiful butcher shop in the world.”
JQ Dickinson Salt-Works
Santa Maria, Santiago, Chile
Fayston, Vermont, USA
PAUL, London, Paris
St John Bakery, London
Bread Alone, New York
Dans dix ans Bakery, Tokyo
Le Petit Grain, Paris
Market Hall Fullham, London
Markthalle Neun, Berlin
Granville Island Public Market, Vancouver
Vanha Kauppahalli, Helsinki
Mercado de Vallehermoso, Madrid
The Neighbourgoods Market, Cape Town
Carriageworks Farmers Market, Sydney
Designer & Architects
Lázaroro Studio, Barcelona
Schweitzer Project-Ladenbau, Naturns, Italien
School of Hotel Administration
Ithaca, New York, USA
École hôtelière de Lausanne
SDA Bocconi School of Management
Via Bocconi, 8
20136 Milano, Italy
The Open University
Milton Keynes, UK
Salone del Mobile
Technology & Innovation
Food Hospitality World
Merano Wine Festival
MAISON & OBJET
European Food Summit
Reading & Listening
Design & Interior
Design- und Architekturmagazin
Design, Architektur, Kunst und Reisen
The World of Interiors
Das Magazin für Gastlichkeit, Design und Kultur
Design, Reisen, Mode und Kunst
Learn more about our consulting services and arrange a personal, non-binding appointment.
Weiand Hospitality Consulting
Quartier Potsdamer Platz
Linkstraße 2, Level 8
10785 Berlin, Germany
Telefon: +49 30 700 12 7029
Would you like us to call you back? Just enter your phone number or your e-mail address.